Re: Bump Ups

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 12:17:05 EDT

Doyle:

<< I wouldn't dispute that such people exist, and some who
>are more powerful too, but they ought to be few and far between, certainly
>far rarer than the 'typical' rune level.

 I tentatively disagree.>>

      As I mentioned in some earlier posts I'd estimate rune level at around 2% of the adult population (rather less, therefore, of the total population) whereas I'd put three-level mastery people at the interclan hero sort of level, i.e. below 0.1%. This seems to fit entirely with comments made by Greg at the last Convulsion about the frequency of such heros - he described a best-person-in-the-clan hero (ergo, around 0.2% of the adult population) as being second-level mastery as the game was envisaged then.

<< It seems clear to me from listening to Greg's fiction reading that these sort of individuals are a lot more common than RQ Glorantha has led us to recognize. >>

     I would sincerely hope they are not that much more frequent (a bit more I can handle), or much of Glorantha's atmosphere would be destroyed, IMO.

<<> I dunno what a Target Narrative is, but it seems from Mikael's
>descriptions, and from comments made by Robin and Greg at Convulsion last
>year that one level of mastery (as it was defined then) is the absolute
>maximum one would want a PC to possess.

 Really? At the LA con, it seemed to be the case that playing with the big boys was a real design goal, and getting multiple levels of Mastery would be a doable thing, in the long run.>>

     I was unclear; I agree that the game should be able to cope with that, and I think its a good thing it can, but I wouldn't want to do it myself as either a player or GM. Wheras I think PCs ought, as a goal in a campaign, to be able to eventually reach rune priesthood/first level of mastery. *If* it were required to reach 3rd level mastery in order to become a priest, I would therefore object. But it isn't, so I won't.

<< At the LA con I got to play in the Black Horse troop round, where at the end of the game we fought Ironhoof. Much of it was obviously tongue-in-cheek, but Robin did make the comment that Ironhoof should actually have about six levels of Mastery in his main combat skills. So I can easily believe that Rune level equates to WWW.>>

     All I can say is that I sincerely hope not, for the reasons just given. Recent comments from Eric indicate that I will not be disappointed on this front.

<< It sounds like a fight between a WWW character and a no-mastery
>character would be a pretty sure thing for the former, albeit not cast-iron
>guaranteed (and if I'm wrong here, many of my objections may be discarded),
>which definately should not describe a fight between a
>just-became-a-rune-priest character and a recent initiate; the former
should
>have a sizable advantage, but not *that* big, IMO.

 Agreed, using a RQ paradigm (Oops, there goes that word again. Somebody smack me.) >>

     The rules paradigm is irrelevant; it ought not to happen or it destroys the atmosphere of the setting, regardless of what rules you happen to be using.

<< But the RQ description of reality may be totally flawed for describing Gloranthan reality. This is what I meant by target narrative. The narrative that would be taking place in a short story set or novel in Glorantha rather than the narrative that took place in a RQ session.>>

     I fail to see the distinction. Problems of this sort would be equally bad in a novel or short story as they would in a game session because the mechanics (if any) used to acheive them are independent of whether or not what is acheived is desirable or not. Which is probably why it isn't the case in HW, as Eric keeps telling us :-)

Forward the glorious Red Army!

     Trotsky

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #630