Endless Reiterative Analysing

From: Michael O'Brien <obrien.michael.m_at_edumail.vic.gov.au>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 21:22:12 +1000

G'day all,

Must say, I'm finding all the endless reiterative analysing of the one-day-to-be-released Hero Wars incredibly tedious. W WW WWW WWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWW?? What the fuck? Seems to me that the previous attempt at a new set of RPG rules for Glorantha (remember RQ AiG?) got sunk because way too many people got stuck into it before it had a chance, and the authors got distracted dousing little fires all over the place rather than just concentrating on getting the bugger finished. Can't the authors and the playtesters just *get offline*, **get it finished**, and ***get it out there***?

I'd much rather have a published game that's 90% right in my hot little hand than one that's aiming for absolute perfection remaining a theoretical construct (while all and sundry endlessly pick over it). HW is not going to be a perfect game; that's what "HW 2nd Edition" or "Advanced Hero Wars" or whatever will be for. At the moment, it's not even a game.

Feel free to tell me I'm talking through my fat arse,

MOB PS Alex sez 'Mysticism Movie News':

>What, haven't you all seen _The Matrix_ yet? Definitely a Must See for
>all of you that just flunked Charismatic Wisdom 101, and have resits
>coming up this autumn. Mind you, the really shocking revelation is
>that... Keanu Doesn't Suck. Hope that wasn't a spoiler for anyone,
>there.

"The Matrix" is also distinctive for being the first movie I've ever seen that was filmed on location in Sydney but didn't feature gratuitous shots of the Harbour Bridge or the Opera House (compare and contrast to, frex "Baywatch Down Under", if you have a strong stomach...). While "Matrix" wasn't a bad flick and Keanu was okay (though all he had to do for two hours was look confused), check out the far superior "Dark City", which "Matrix" seemingly strip-mined for inspiration. Ironically, this too was filmed in Sydney, albeit with about 50 million-less bucks. And while I'm on movies, I saw "Star Wars Ep.1" the other day, and must say I think George Lucas should be roundly slapped around the head for such a pathetic, appallingly underwhelming effort. I went in with low expectations, and boy, it failed to meet even them.