Greydog Steads

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_csi.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 07:59:32 +0100

Peter Metcalfe writes:

> Neighbouring clans that belong to opposing tribes (say the Varmandi
> and the Orlevings) can be counted on to be blood enemies.

This is not to say that this enmity is worse than that which can prevail within a tribe. The Greydog clan's worst enemies are the Poss, and they're another clan of the Lismelder tribe. (We know the Orlmarth Wooden-Pecker clan of the Colymar are ostensibly rivals of the Greydogs, but this must bulk larger in their own mythos than it ever did in ours: frankly, we'd never *heard* of them until "King of Sartar" came out! Maybe we somehow *inadvertently* wronged them, and they've been wussily bearing a private grudge ever since?).

David Dunham lists me as source for:

Nah, nah, nah, Dunham: the Gorinds and Osgosi are steads within the Greydog clan of the Lismelder tribe, like the Hodirsons and Longbrewers. The Gorinds are "No-Good Gorinds" because they usually provide the clan and indeed tribe with its tricksters -- Ringpiece the Fool (oops, I meant Brigpice) is a Gorind. I can't remember now why the Osgosi are "peculiar", but I'm sure David Hall will remind me.

In his dreams! Our chieftain for most of the Greydog Campaign was Kornos Longbrewer ("All Hail Our Chieftain, Kornos Longbrewer!"). He was -- and this is *off* the record -- never a particularly inspiring leader, but the thought of that cocky bugger (and GM's Pet) Branduan taking over... Urgh. (Maybe he did while my back was turned. I know Kornos has been unwell lately, what with his Bullies getting out of hand and all).

Other Lismelder clans are the Poss, Lonendi, Deadwood, Goodweaver, Marshedge, et al. See Tales #18 for many more details.

Finally, I suspect there *was* a Fox clan among the Dinacoli; cf. my story "The Fox King" for details and the Brangbane link. This may now be a ghost or magical revenant clan.

Cheers, Nick