Re: Sartarite Clans

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 00:01:32 +0000

Ricky Dawson asked for as complete info on Sartarite clans as possible.

IMO, this bid is too high. If we have 24 tribes with 5 to 10 clans each, that's 120 to 240 clan names to memorize (?), far more detail than even I am willing to tackle.

Peter Metcalfe

> There's no official list of Sartarite clans that I'm aware of although
> Joerg may have such a list compiled in the execution of his duties.

Not yet. I doubt there will ever be an official list of all clans - if there was, it would stifle creativity IMO. Harn is an example for over-detailing a world...

> One name that I can help you with is the Kheldron. Queen Kallyr has
> some companions whose clan associations are known according to KoS p235.
> They are: Blackrock, Greenhaf, Jerending, Blue Spruce, farther Squat
> Oak (implies the existance of the nearer Squat Oak), Elkenval and White
> Quartz.

However, not all of them are necessarily Kheldon, given the inclusion of Minaryth Purple.

David Dunham gave a fairly comprehensive list.

> Culbrea
> * Elk Clan [KoS.213]
> (see also Ye Book of Tentacles)

And Jonstown Guide for detail on a few clans mentioned in YBoT as well...

> Malani
> * Orleving [PB:G]
> * Lysan (formerly "Tree" Colymar, transferred in 1613 by Lunar decree)
> * Namolding (formerly "Tree" Colymar, transferred in 1613 by Lunar decree)
> * Badger (founder: Old Brock) [Paul Anderson]

Two-Ridge stockade from Dragon Pass boardgame lies in Malani territory and fields its own Free Army unit. Might be a Malani clan.

More Malani names in Jonstown Guide (for Heroes of Wisdom) and the German language campaign booklet "Shadows in the Hills".

A few Cinsina clans have been handled for Jonstown Guide as well.

Which of these are "official" I can't say (yet).