HW bumping continues

From: David Cake <dave_at_starfish.net.au>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 14:20:30 +0800

steve
>Did I miss something, or is WWW equivalent to
>60 in Pendragon (and 300% in RQ)?

        Sounds about right to me for the Pendragon numbers, though you could interpret it to say that WWW is equivalent to a mere 40. And apparently, 'its not a bug, its a feature.'

>*But* the guidelines say that WWW
>= tribal level hero, and while I realise this is an approximation not a rule
>set in stone, if it means anything at all, it means that such people are not
>'found in every village' - indeed there's probably not more than two dozen of
>them in the whole of Sartar, which sounds about right to me.

        Well, if that is the case, thats sounds about right to me too. I only hope the fact that Eric has been argueing long and hard that W3 is a reasonable level for a local village tough guy in email doesn't mean whatever guidelines you are working from have been superceded.

Eric
>I'm not sure whether people are overvaluing WWW or undervaluing
>Rune Lords, but either way....

        Personally, I'd say that you are IMO undervalueing WWW, and probably have the right idea of what a Rune Lord is in general, but tend to read 'experienced RL' rather than 'beginning RL', thus overvalueing them compared to some others who read it the other way (though both interpretations are quite reasonable, I think perhaps we could strive to be a bit clearer should we continue to harp on the topic).

Ash
>So... if Adventurers start with 16s in their skills they have to go through
>(counts rapidly on fingers cursing British education system) about 25
>adventures (assuming 1 plot point per Adventure) to get one skill up to this
>level?

        I think Eric has made it clear that it doesn't have to work anything like this if you don't want it too. And I will just reiterate that I think not rigidly sticking to a particular speed of advancement is a good idea, too, especially if the rules are written such that an individual GM can have a lot of control over their own game.

	Cheers
		David

'...never support evil as a preferred lifestyle'
	-TSR Inc corporate standards
 	OldThinkers UnBellyFeel MoonWise! - Nick Brooke