HW advancement.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_yeats.ucc.ie>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 18:03:30 +0100 (BST)

Ash enquires, as to WWW:
> So... if Adventurers start with 16s in their skills they have to go through
> (counts rapidly on fingers cursing British education system) about 25
> adventures (assuming 1 plot point per Adventure) to get one skill up to this
> level?

Default start is 14, so xWWW will require about 50 Hero Points per skill. (I hedge a little because I'm not sure if 1 and 20 are on the target number scale, currently -- I heard at Tentacles that this was 'under review'.)

> Is this about the right order of magnitude as people understand it or have I
> grasped the effluent encrusted end of the branch?

As Eric pointed out a little while ago, this will be explictly configurable in the rules -- you choose the rate of advancement for your group. The 'default' will be faster than 1 per adventure -- more like 1 per session, plus several per adventure, from what I gleaned at the Con.

And this will be speeded up by Heroquesting, of course. But since one's access to HQing will become more _after_ one reaches higher levels of magical ability, this seems more related to how the upper and lower parts of the scale relate to each other, rather than how it works at the lowest levels. (Yes, I know that one can 'heroquest' at any level of ability, but the high stakes 'bet the farm/gamble your goolies' type seems to be more characteristic of community leaders.)

Cheers,
Alex.

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #637