Official Clans

From: Kmnellist_at_aol.com
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 14:47:47 EDT

<< < Which of these are "official" I can't say (yet). >>  <Trotsky:

      I asked Robin about this sometime last year, when he was compiling the  Sartar book. At that time, he strongly believed that *none* of these clans  would become official. >

I think that it is probably impossble to produce a definitive/official/100%accurate list of clans without having an external to Glorantha point of view. I would suggest that various Lorespeakers have their own lists which are probably OK fo their tribe, a bit shaky for other tribes and out of sell by date for those further afield. If the ancient civilisation of Dara Happa cannot get a definitve list of Emperors then how can a bunch of Orlanthi define all the bloodlines, clans, tribes, clans that are so big that perhaps they're tribes, small tribes, independant families etc and expect to get it right. Perhaps the tax collectors have the best idea of who's who in Sartar. I like the idea of several names for clans, perhaps several clans have very similar names/nicknames. All of it makes for fairly easy retro fitting.

Personally speaking, I will not be that impressed if the Sartar Book is just a huge list of clans.

<<Subject: Re: the 24 tribes of Sartar>>

 This is another subject that is more fun if the 24 tribes are not exactly defined. Perhaps some Pol Joni believe themselves to be one of the 24, others do not. Are there lost tribes of Sartar? Is it simply a 'magic' number of tribes that make up the kingdom (like 7 lightbringers) that can vary through time? I think it better that there is sometimes ambiguity in these things, not that a Gloranthan isn't sure of what he believes but that this may not agree with what some other Gloranthan believes.

All IMO

Keith N