Sartarite Clans / What is Sartar?

From: Paul Anderson <pmanderson_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 15:32:55 PDT

I'm not sure that a _complete_ clan list would be a help to everyone, even if possible. For example, IMG most PC's come from a small Malani Clan, the Badgers; it has twice produced offshoot clans, the Badger Clans of the Sambari, and of Pavis. Not having a list makes things like this easier.

David Dunham has suggested something which can be taken further. Sartar is not like the Lunar Satrapies, which are areas of land formed by grant from the divine God-Emperor. Sartar _is_ the Ring of Sartar, formed by those people who are Sartari, and only secondarily their lands.

People can join this Ring, as the Alda-Churi and Alone tribes did; they can make new tribes (the Estanval and Nostali existed in 1535 and have dissolved [KOS: p 222]); they can leave, if they can prevail over the Ring. The 24 tribes, therefore, is true (at best) at one particular time.

IMHO, we have two examples of Ring-breaking in KOS. The Colymar broke the Ring for Umathkar's War of the 1570's against the Malani, but were unable to make this true against King Tarkalor (surprise :-).

The Maboder declared the Ring of Sartar broken, for lack of a true heir, about 1602. If they had gotten enough support in this, they might even have able to make it so; as it was, the rest of the Jonstown tribes broke them from the Ring of Sartar, and from Jon' Peace, which made it possible for the Telmori to destroy them.

Whether the Pol-Joni were part of Sartar's Ring depended on the time and their location. Under Tarkalor they were, I suspect; but if theyhad gotten pushed out of Prax into the Wastes, even he could not have protected them, and the ring would be broken by distance.

This is a great inconvenience for Lunar bureaucrats, now they recognize Sartar, and are trying to run it as though a province. On the other hand, it offers great opportunities for the ambitious: "Since Sartar's house ruled in Grazelands/Sun Dome/Pavis, it must be part of Sartar..."

Paul MacLean Anderson
pmanderson_at_hotmail.com
"I'm making this up, you know!"