anthropology

From: David Cake <dave_at_starfish.net.au>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 16:04:45 +0800

        I've just been reading some anthropology, particularly the ideas of Claude L=E9vi-Strauss (thats L-accent-e-v-i if the mailing list mangle it), recenty.

        Which lead me to ask what anyone thinks of using the ideas of Levi-Strauss in particular, and anthropology/mythography other than Joseph Campbell in general, in Glorantha? Are the rules and function of myth the same in Glorantha? Does Glorantha work as if a particular theory is truer than others?

        Its occurred to me that one of the things that makes Glorantha so interesting is that to create Gloranthan myths and cultures, we are essentially (and perhaps uniquely in the extent to which we do it) driving the anthropology/mythography process in reverse.

        While I thinking of such things, what good examples are there in Glorantha of classic tragic heroes, like Oedipus, that fate raises up then destroys? There are lots of heroes who get destroyed by their own foolishness, or by their enemies, or that make different choices to what their original backers desired and are thus held to have fallen. But I can't think of that many struck down by fickle fate.

        Cheers

                David