Cities of Sartar Questions

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 1999 01:05:53 +0200

Peter Metcalfe :

> Sylangi.

Yep : eyes were tired ...

> >26. Macori (sp?)
>
> Bacofi.

Nope, source has Macori/Macopi/Macofi
First letter definitely an M.
I suppose my source should be read "Macofi", then. Thanks.

Your information is probably more recent, and accurate.

> >Other Allies of Great Note are :
>
> > 3. Whitewall (+ Tribes 24, 25, 26)
>
> Whitewall is not an ally of Sartar, it is part of Heortland.

The three Allies of Note are listed as I reported. Again, it's old info.

The Sun Dome temple is listed as an ally, and not part of Sartar. (Oh, and so are the Pol Joni, BTW ;-)
Obviously, any "ally" of Sartar must, by definition, be a separate entity ...

> >The Cities [...] appear on the list, suggesting that they count as
> >Tribes for some purposes (Voting, etc.?).
>
> They don't.

At the very least, they must count for maintenance of the royal household ...

It also appears that there are Sartarite clans (maybe just families, called "clans" for legal reasons ?) who belong to cities, not Tribes.

	although it also appears that the numerical values
	for the listed "clans" are more WB&RM Unit Strength values
	than keen demographic analysis of actual clans ...
 	   Tribal population / 500 = number of clans in Tribe,
	   and, yes, fractions are listed ...
	   There are exactly 21.6 Telmori clans, for instance ...
	Quite handy if I ever want to run a wargame scenario;
	less so for painting a sensible picture of city life in Sartar ...
However, bravely assuming that the 10.8 "clans" of Boldhome *do* have some sort of existence, their "Tribal King" would be the head of the city council. And other such legal technicalities, fictions, and other spoon bending ... and he would be their representative before the King.

Is this in the right direction, or is it just cobblers?

Must a citizen always belong to a clan that must belong to one of the Tribes that have constituted the city?
In the 15th century, answer obviously yes, but have things evolved since then?

cheers,

Julian Lord

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #647