Sartarite cities

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 11:54:43 +1200

Jane Williams:

>Sartarite cities: I'm pretty sure that in Boldhome at least there are
>people who are citizens of the city, but who are not members of any
>particular tribe. They are represented on the city ring by the Mayor. Not
>sure where I'm remembering this from, though: sorry.

That's quite the topic that was being debated. I was arguing against the notion that there are clans in the city that are independent of the tribes. There are people independant of the clans in Boldhome, but there are no clans indepedant of the tribes.

There are mayors in the Sartarite cities but Boldhome doesn't have one, save perhaps "Leika the Mayor" one of Argrath's companions. There are precedents for this: London is only now getting its Lord Mayor back, Washington DC doesn't have any congressional representatives while Paris had no mayor for a century after the Paris Commune.