Thieves & Kings

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 00:33:31 +0200

Jane Williams :

> But, given that [Vinga]'s now got this scouting magic, how do you make it
> work mythically? We know she's a warrior goddess: do you give her a
> myth in which she develops her own scouting abilities, or steals them
> from some enemy, or is taught them by another of the pantheon, or
> what?
>
> Presumably it's a part of the main-stream Vingan cult, not a sub-cult?

Orlanth "Adventurous" was originally designed with an Orlanth Thief Aspect, and I'd say that it's probably through this connection that she gets her "scouting" stuff. Orlanth can still do all the sneaking about, but it's not really what he's worshipped for nowadays, him being King and everything ... But Vinga doesn't have any such Kingly responsibility to the community, and these thieving powers are used more often. Helps balance the scales, anyway ...

As for her Scouting mythology, in my own version of Vinga, at http://perso.wanadoo.fr/runelord/runelord/runelord.htm she has a natural talent for it, which is awakened in her by Eurmal and Gagarth, and finely honed when she
needs to sneak away from Chaos with News of the Invasion.

IMO these are innate abilities that are "activated" during her complex initiation myth.
I don't think you can "steal" scouting magic ... but you can learn it by going out and stealing something else, of course, perhaps something quite symbolic.

I think she discovers her own talents by imitating Odayla, Yinkin, Gagarth, Eurmal and last, but no means least, her daddy.

There are probably lots of variant stories of how she learned to do it - -..