World's Greatest Tournament

From: Morgan Conrad <mpc_at_coastside.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 00:44:56 -0700

Having recently purchased the "World's Greatest Tournament" supplement (a nice third party work describing a big tournament held in Kustria, Ralios) my characters were darned tooting going to get a chance to show up. Even though it's a sidelight to their "save the Lunar Empire" quest that has taken them into Ralios. Some of you might be amused by one player's summary of the events. The misspellings actually make it much more realistic. (To further cross pollinate, Methe comes from Dave Dunham's East Ralios campaign)

The semi-Runequest/Pendragon (it uses a d20) rules we are using can be found at http://members.xoom.com/dquill/runequest/. Some history of my campaign is there under http://members.xoom.com/dquill/runequest/campaign/repairs/index.htm

For the tourney, I made up a lot of opponents, a mix of Arkati/Stygians from Ralios, Hrestoli/Rokari from Seshnela, plus a smattering of trolls, Gallini, and Orlanthi. About half were given random names, others came from personalities from the booklet. Battles were generally fought to first blood. And there was a good mix of luck and skill. The archery contest was simpler - just roll 5 shots and add up your hits, with a +10 for each crit. It was very random.

[From the archives of the Jakaleel library. The report dates back to the time just before the "Hero Wars", a time of setbacks and unrest of the Lunar Empire. It is from a Jakaleeli agent but is unsigned. It was sent after events were over apparently because the agent had lost confidence in his normal communication channels because of the civil war that had broken out between "The Committee", Jar-eel, and the White Moon cult.]

Eventually, we arrived at the tourney with Rupert and Laurus eager to show off. Rupert fought as the green (?) knight and Laurus fought under an assumed name. We all bet money on out compatriots and then sat through mushy, pretentious poem that kicked off the festivities where trained fighters would bash each other in the name of peace.

Rupert was in Group A and had heard of two of his opponents. One was a Sir Rickamar, and Arkati with a Morning Star. The other was Sir Brandion, son of Sir Foilfind (a man involved in the invasion of Rupert's homeland). Rupert went up against Arnolf, and unknown. In his final battle Rupert was uncertain of his chances and bet on his foe. He lost that battle.

Brandion fought Clovis. After they unhorsed each other, they began to hurl insults at each other as Clovis had also been a victim of the invasion that Brandion's father had lead. Eventually they agreed to fight to the death and each struck a mortal blow on their very first swing.

In Laurus' group were Sir Gee De-Lomabard (thought to be the fourth best fighter there) and an Arkati name Giberth (Arkati). Laurus' combats were longer, with critical blows being stopped by critical parries, but he won every battle and made it into the next round.

Claudus fought quit well, but his foes were tough and he lost. In that groups a knight named Sir Zazuban grabbed Sir Demee and burned him in his arms. He did it longer than was necessary. The Rocarri don't care for the Orlanthi so this isn't surprising. Dagulf had a hard time getting his horse to charge troll on a Karg Beetle. He appealed successfully to the saint of horseback riding (St. Equinus) and won.

In the Second round, Laurus won twice and then faces someone who insisted on starting on horseback (apparently fearing Laurus prowess afoot). Laurus was able to make it out of the second round, but lost in the third.

Gem entered the archery contest and advanced boldly to the second round but then fell flat on her face (figuratively). She also had a good horse for the horse race and Rupert, Claudus and Stateira vied to be permitted to ride it. However, the horse lost. Procopius entered the archery contest but didn't do very well.

During this time, Tavar hear rumours that Delela had a pending alliance with a new power. Methe was ostentatiously spending a lot of time with Stateira and Laurus. Apparently they had agreed to help spread this rumour for Lethe's benefit. One of Laurus' "groupies" was a woman in league with some trolls trying to find out how real this was. He also heard that Sir Orvel do Gindel, who won, would retire after the tournament. Rupert heard that Tinaros would invade Otkarion. He also heard that Baron Asbrook Torvile (the general of Santos) if from Jonatela. He learned that Foilfind ordered the death of the cult of the right and left hand. Foilfind and Turner have ravaged Rupert's homeland, wiping out any memory of his presence. Tavar noted that the committee seemed to be doing some similar things and wondered if it might not be easier to conduct a ritual to wipe out events if you can eliminate any trace they existed first?

Prepared to continue our journey. We planned to go to Tinaros and then see if a war was really imminent, hoping to be able to continue by boat. But we found out that the Queen had, for some revenge, sacrificed her children to some devil called Arginterror who was a sorcerer. Tinaros' neighbors fear her power as she rules over the devastated lands. With this news, we decided it prudent to journey overland.

Morgan Conrad