Geocities / Yahoo

From: Ashley Munday <Ashley.Munday_at_liffe.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 14:50:34 +0100

This has got bugger all to do with Glorantha, but seeing at least 10 people on the list use Geocities (which has been swallowed up by Yahoo) I'd thought I'd bring part of their ToS to your attention:

"CONTENT SUBMITTED TO YAHOO By submitting Content to any Yahoo property, you automatically grant, or warrant that the owner of such Content has expressly granted, Yahoo the royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive and fully sublicensable right and license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such Content
(in whole or part) worldwide and/or to incorporate it in other works in any
form, media, or technology now known or later developed."

Bit nasty, 'cause it implies that if you publish anything with them they can copy it willy nilly and do what they want with it. Now, most of us probably don't mind if other people use our stuff - that's why we stick it on the Web, but most of us like to at least be asked first and would rather they didn't make money we didn't make ourselves.

(I didn't bother reading all the guff in the ToS, someone on a Traveller
mailing list did. There's a bit more commentary on http://technews.netscape.com/computing/technews/newsitem/0,290,38463,00.html )

Sorry if it seems inappropriate but I was glad to find out. I'll shut up now...

Ash

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and solely for the intended addressee(s). Unauthorised reproduction, disclosure, modification, and/or distribution of this email may be unlawful. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete it from your system. The views expressed in this message do not necessarily reflect those of LIFFE (Holdings) Plc or any of its subsidiary companies.

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #651