city politics

From: Richard, Jeff <Jeff.Richard_at_metrokc.gov>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 14:35:33 -0700

Peter:>> Issaries is
>> strong among the shop keepers and the guilds but IMO their cult
>> politics are as unruly as a clan moot and split along clan and
>> tribal lines.

David:>Issaries is one of the few cults that might NOT be split along clan and
>tribal lines, given that many of its members travel around a lot and
>associate with members from other clans and tribes.
Peter: >Goldentongue travels around a lot but not Garzeen shopkeepers who
>stay in one place and have roots in their community. IMO more
>Orlanthi worship the Garzeen subcult than the Goldentongue hence
>local issaries temples will be dominated by clan and tribal politics.

A few comments. First thing is that I strongly disagree with the basic assumption that most Orlanthi "cults" tend to operate on such organized lines as described. A shrine to Issaries (or for that matter - Humakt, Mastakos, Elmal or whomever) at a clan or tribal center is going to have devotees who organize their personal world according to the biases of their bloodline, clan, tribe, patrons, clients, etc. Now it is true that some devotees of Issaries, by virtue of their travels and intertribal connections, may actually value their extra-tribal associates more than their own clan members. To that extent, David is right. To the extent that Orlanthi will always view the world through the lens of bloodline, clan, tribe, etc., Peter is correct.

A devotee of any "normal" god is nearly always going to identify himself/herself as a member of a bloodline or clan before identifying with fellow devotees from outside of the bloodline or clan. That is, after, Orlanth's way.

Jeff