Cities

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 09:16:45 +0200

Peter :

> > > I should point out that the Mayor represents the people of the City
> > > in the City Ring. But she would not need clan chiefs acting as
> > > intermediaries to do her job.
>
> >No, it's the other way round : she is the intermediary between the
important
> >citizens/families/clans and the other Magistrates of the City, Kingdom,
and
> >Tribes.
>
> No she isn't. KoS p134 specifically states that Sartar instituted
> the Mayor to represent the city residents on the city's Rings.

Erm .. that's what I meant ?

> And there are zilch other Magistrates in Sartar.

Well, there's a Prince, members of City Rings, members of Tribal Rings, Cult Leaders, ...

OK, "Magistrate" probably not the most intuitive word I could've used - -..

> There's no Royal
> Administration in Sartar as anything the Prince wants done beyond
> Boldhome is handled by the Tribes. All he has is a few buildings
> with "Royal" tacked onto their titles.

And 'Administration' is probably me using a similarly grandiose term for similarly non-grandiose day-to-day activities ...

> But you are applying modern concepts to the Orlanthi when you
> suggest that Prince has a bureacracy to handle his affairs and
> the following:

Dunno where you got the idea of Orlanthi bureaucrats from. Not me.

> The tribes have lost or surrendered no power.

Loss of power by the individual (here, the individual Tribe) is a corollary of a situation where there is power sharing. Technically, you're right : among the Orlanthi, no-one can force anyone to do what they don't want. But it seems that the Tribes, and their Kings, would have to surrender some power, or at the very least, compromise some of it, in order to remain in confederation?

You're right about the factions ...

cheers,
Julian