Re: The Firshala Myth (?)

From: David Weihe <weihe_at_eagle.danet.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 10:14:55 EDT

> From: "Chris Bell" <argrath_at_xsite.net>
> I'm preparing the Gloranthan section of my site, and I was wodnering if
> anyone could provide me on the extant material concerning the spirit known
> as Firshala who appears in Griffin Mountain. I only had been able to get
my
> hands on AH's Griffin Island.

In Griffin Mountain the spirit had been trapped for ages (probably since the GodTime "era") and no memory left of who she was other than her name. She was thus available for use by whoever found her, and could arrange for her continued worship. Presumably heroquesting could find/invent a role for her, but that was not discussed in the original book.

> I created my own Shaman cult from the scant
> details contained therein, basically creating a small witch-cult for
> Orlanthi Hillwomen...My Firshalan fire-witches worship a minor fire deity
> who is the daughter of Lodril and Ernalda and provide dangerous fire
powers
> to Orlanthi or Praxian women who are brave enough to follow her. In
> Godtime, my Firshala was a lover of Orlanth who rebelled against the Sky
> Gods and was one of the Burtae ("Young Gods".)

Congratulations. Now her priests will have to heroquest to prove it, rather like another group created a role for THEIR previously unknown goddess (if she is an Orlanthi/Praxian spirit now, this becomes quite ironic, doesn't it?)

> When I get done
> writing it, "Two Thunders", where Shargash meets Orlanth (!), should be up
> on the site as well.

Good luck on that. Good luck on pleasing anyone with it, also. The Lunar/Solar partisans will flame you if Shargash doesn't handily defeat the rebellious spirit Orlanth, and the Orlanthi partisans will if he evil Solar demon Shargash isn't smashed by Mighty Orlanth. Seriously, this is a myth that needs at least three widely varying versions, unless the resolution is that both exchange blows in battle then lose each other in the fray, and then tell their respective worshippers to watch out for the other's (kind of a prophesy of future wars [Orlanthi beating DH during the Fall of the Bright Empire, then defending against them when the Imperial Dragon cult loses control during EWF, then when DH troups under the Lunars conquer down to Hendriki, then Hero Wars prophesies]).

> By the way, is the word "Burtae" a Theyalan term, a God-Learner/Malkioni
> import word, or from another source?

I always assume that anything Monomythic started in the Councils, and only later was picked up and elaborated or rationalized by the God Learners. The only known Malkioni terms are Humakt and Arkat, both from Brithini, not religious Malkioni.