Tribes

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 01:03:54 +0200

Alex :

> > Swenston Ring : The PJs live next door to the Swenston peoples, and
> > given that they're such important _allies_ of Sartar
>
> Would it then be fair to say they were allies of the Swenston tribes/
> Ring? Or are they actual _members_ of same, in some sense?

The major ally of the PJs in Sartar was the Dundealos tribe AFAIK.

I *hope* someone has a more informed opinion than I do ... ;-)

> > There is a kind of no-man's land separating the PJs from the
> > Dundealosi, if I'm reading my maps correctly ...
>
> There is? Where, exactly?

Hm. My statement isn't 100% accurate. In 1600, the Dundealosi had territory much further north than appears in QL p. 24. It extended to the crossroads just south of Boldhome, and the Sambari and Balkothi lands were separated by this tribe.The southern clans lived closer to the mountains than appears on the 1610 QL map. The no-man's land I refer to was where it says DUNDEALOS on the 1610 map. The northernmost portion of this no-man's land is occupied circa 1621 by the Enstalos tribe; south of that, the wilderness.

> > > I didn't know there was an Alone Ring at all!
> >
> > There was.
>
> Tell me more, tell me more...

In 1600, according to what I have, the Alone Ring consisted of : Alone : 700 souls
the Tres : 4,300
the Amad : 2,500 (who lived in Snakepipe Hollow) the Bachad : 6,100

Typical Orlanthi apparently (whatever that means).

Probably no such Ring in 1620.

John Hughes says (in QL) that these tribes are relatively safe in their isolation. The Bachad, certainly. The Tres maybe. But the Amad have to get by with living on the edge of the Stinking forest, hunting inside the Hollow, and eking out some mucky little existence as an insulating layer between the Hollow and the other tribes. If they've any brains, they've refused to do this; and either migrated to other lands, or forcefully created their own miserable little niche in the Forest. Probably a bit of both, leaving it to the Tres to deal (unsuccessfully) with Chaos incursions from the Hollow. Perhaps, there is no such thing as an integrated Amad Tribe at the beginning of the Hero Wars period. Baroshi is probably an Amad god.

Probably, the Bachad Tribe has sole control of the City in 1620. The Tres look like they're too isolated to be an effective opposition party ... and the Amad have certainly given up on the confederation.