Re: Uralda/Eiritha; Arkat/Argrath

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_yeats.ucc.ie>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 18:59:00 +0100 (BST)

David Dunham strikes a blow for Mythic Diversity. Owch!

> > if 'Uralda' isn't just a polite Sartarite
> > term for 'cattle-Eiritha', then I don't know what is

> Only a God Learner would think so. Uralda's main myth, which explains the
> mutual dependence of humans and cows, is completely different from the
> Eiritha myths.

Maybe I've been talking to Steve Martin too much of late. I can't recall the details of the 'equivalent' Eiritha myth (if I ever knew 'em), but it doesn't instantly strike me as being so very different. Certainly 'mutual dependence' is a motif of both.

> (Those of you who currently have access to King of Dragon Pass can read
> this. The rest of you will just have to believe me, until the computer game
> comes out.)

Nice myth, btw. Shame about the lurid green text, though! Incidentally, not only does the game have several 'new' myths, but it also has fuller (or at least, different) accounts of yet more that are in, or alluded to, in KoS. A most nifty part of the game. (Once you've found it, eventually!)

Cheers,
Alex.