Re: Shah of Carmania

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_csi.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 16:22:34 +0100

Martin wrote:

> Sorcerous worship ... is usually concentrated in Carmania where the
> Idovanic school is very strong. The Emperor is also Shah of Carmania
> and is therefore the top man in the Idovanic school. Other forms of
> materialistic worship do exist.

I don't think the Red Emperor "is" Shah of Carmania. All the potential claimants to the Shah's title were wiped out in the course of the Blood Kings' Wars, in the First and Second Wanes of the Empire. The unique powers of the Carmanian Shahs were extinguished when their divine founder, Carmanos, was felled by one of the Four Arrows of Light, and they have never been manifested since. (Cue for much Hero Wars activity, I hope)

In our Lunar games, we have given Moonson the (originally Carmanian) title of "Padishah of Peloria," among many others. This is a title the Carmanians acquired in the tenth or eleventh centuries S.T., when they saw themselves as the dominant partner in a long-lasting alliance with the Dara Happans. This is bigger and better than merely being the "Shah of Carmania" -- it's an equivalent to "Emperor" or "King of Kings" (which are among the other titles in Moonson's capacious armoury).

Certainly, the Red Emperor can command the Idovanic School, the College of Magi, and any other Carmanian or Imperial institutions -- if he couldn't, they would (ipso facto) be rebels against his rule. But I don't think the Magi, the Satraps of Carmania, etc. would think he was the "top man" in their institutions -- rather, he'd be seen as the only person who can boss around (or intervene against) the Hierophant, the Governor of the West Reaches, or others. (Though he would usually be well advised to do so with a degree of political caution: these are powerful individuals, with many resources of their own to call upon).

:::: Email: <Nick_Brooke_at_compuserve.com> Nick
:::: Web: <http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Nick_Brooke/>