Emperor/Shah

From: Martin Laurie <MLaurie_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 20:00:45 -0400

Nick reponds:
>Martin wrote:
> Sorcerous worship ... is usually concentrated in Carmania where the
> Idovanic school is very strong. The Emperor is also Shah of Carmania
> and is therefore the top man in the Idovanic school. Other forms of
> materialistic worship do exist.

>I don't think the Red Emperor "is" Shah of Carmania. All the potential
>claimants to the Shah's title were wiped out in the course of the Blood
>Kings' Wars, in the First and Second Wanes of the Empire. =

I agree that all the claimants to the old bloodlines were eradicated. =

However, there is no reason to suppose that blood is a definitive road =

to rule or Shah legitamacy. It certainly would help but it would seem =

odd (to me at least) that no-one could usurp the title through military =

means, political means, wealth, popular support etc. IMO, the Shah =

of Carmania is any man who rules Carmania and calls himself Shah =

without being offed immediately :) The rituals would be aided by blood =

but as Greg has discussed and written up in heroquest form, it is quite =

possible to Heroquest back in time to _become_ a member of the blood =

you want to belong to. Hero Wars will be packed with this kind of =

adventure.

>The unique powers of the Carmanian Shahs were extinguished when their
divine >founder, Carmanos, was felled by one of the Four Arrows of Light,=

and they have >neverbeen manifested since. (Cue for much Hero Wars activity, I hope)

Hmm, yes the Shahs took a pasting at the 4 Arrows, yes they lost a lot of=  =

power but I doubt that their rituals were expunged completely. I would =

argue that their power _has_ manifested since during the defeat of Sheng =

Seleris by Magnificus. I believe that his weaponry included a significan= t =

amount of Carmanian old ritual, as well as Lunar power. I also think tha= t =

the manifestation of Carmanian magics at a specially selected point large= ly

helped the Lunars defeat the Seleric warband and thus allowed Shengs =

defeat.

>In our Lunar games, we have given Moonson the (originally Carmanian) tit=
le
>of "Padishah of Peloria," among many others. This is a title the
Carmanians
>acquired in the tenth or eleventh centuries S.T., when they saw themselv=
es
>as the dominant partner in a long-lasting alliance with the Dara Happans=
- -
>This is bigger and better than merely being the "Shah of Carmania" -- it=
's
>an equivalent to "Emperor" or "King of Kings" (which are among the other=

>titles in Moonson's capacious armoury).

Yes I think he would be Padishah but in Carmania he would still be Shah =

because Magnificus was Shah and he was the one who led the Empire =

to renewal. Therefore the Carmanians would aknowledge that he is King =

of Kings but also very proudly state that he is THEIR king, or in this ca= se

>Certainly, the Red Emperor can command the Idovanic School, the College =
of
>Magi, and any other Carmanian or Imperial institutions -- if he couldn't=
,
>they would (ipso facto) be rebels against his rule. But I don't think th=
>Magi, the Satraps of Carmania, etc. would think he was the "top man" in
>their institutions -- rather, he'd be seen as the only person who can bo=
ss
>around (or intervene against) the Hierophant, the Governor of the West
>Reaches, or others. (Though he would usually be well advised to do so wi=
th
>degree of political caution: these are powerful individuals, with many
>resources of their own to call upon).

It depends on the period you are talking about. In the days of Magnificu= s,
I'd =

say he was truly "top man" but in the days of more...er...."relaxed" mode= rn

Emperors, I think it would be another story. In fact it would be as you say =

regarding the political implications of his actions in Carmania.

Regards

Martin =