Re: Hero Cults

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_csi.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 07:36:43 +0100

Petteri asks:

> 1.hero cults how do they work (Is there the same kind of order
> (initiate/runelord..etc.))?

A hero cult is like any other sub-cult -- it provides one rune spell to members of the cult it's associated with, if they meet other requirements and have access to a shrine devoted to the hero. (This may be standalone, or a hero shrine within a larger temple). Like other sub-cults, the hero cults *aren't* found everywhere across Glorantha -- some of them (cf. the Humakti ones in Tales #5) are very geographically limited.

According to RQ rules, there is no hierarchy ("order") in hero cults. A priest at a shrine to a hero might think of himself primarily as a priest *of* that hero -- "Lornak, priest of Hachrat Blowhard" rather than "Lornak, Storm Voice of Orlanth at Hachrat's shrine".

Hero cult rune magics are reusable or one-use (or once-a-year, if you follow my own suggestion from Tales #12) just like your other rune spells from the main cult. I have in the past been tempted to allow real devotees of a hero or subcult to gain *that* rune-spell more reusably than their other rune magic, but have never written rulesy stuff to quantify this.

> 2.if someone knows something about Yan Starcere please share it with me
> because I don't know anything (except from tales no. 5)?

All I can add is that the hero is named after Ian someone-or-other (sounds like "Starcere" if you pronounce it the way Greg and Sandy do), who complained when the old RQ2 Humakti spell "Parry" was cut from RQ3, and so was generously made into the cult hero responsible for its introduction.

> 3.uppland marsh is big plase is there some information of it anywhere?

*Lots* of information will be in the next issue of Tales, which is to be an Upland Marsh Special (with maps, encounters, scenarios, and more). Sorry to stall you...

:::: Email: <Nick_Brooke_at_compuserve.com> Nick
:::: Web: <http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Nick_Brooke/>