Re: Storm Bulls and Land

From: David Weihe <weihe_at_eagle.danet.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 18:46:32 EDT

> From: "Dom Twist" <thazar_at_globalnet.co.uk>
> I think that Thralls farming Storm Bull owned lands would be pretty common.
> What else does a Storm Bull do with someone captured in battle, or do they
> just never take prisoners?

It is rather difficult to take prisoners while in raging berzerkergang, so I expect that they just kill anyone who stands up to them and ignore any non-chaotics that don't pose a threat. Few prisoners, either way.

Storm Bulls (rather Uroxi, as Storm Bull is the Praxian sect, and they would never consider farming) will probably concentrate on herding, and might be allowed to graze their cattle on fallow fields of the local Orlanthi as well as on their own upland fields. It is possible that the modern cult is decended from the 1st Age cattle hsunchen converted to Lightbringer worship by Council missionaries, in which case farming would probably be disliked even today (assumed 1600s).

OTOH, Humaktis are often assigned land for their support (yes, this is the first step to the feudalism that the Sartari left Heortland over, but economic facts are facts), and they will use ex-prisoners or slaves on their farms when they cannot attract Barntars (who will tend to be the poorest Barntars in several senses of the word). Unlike the Uroxi, the Humakti have no fertility associations at all and, thus, no interest in growing things except as an intellectual problem in efficient provisioning.

Of course, they will then waste the new sharecroppers time by requiring excessive militia training, and will recruit the most likely members of the next generation, so they will not be that efficient farms at the best of times. Add in the magical effects of Swords on local soil fertility, and that Humakti have no clues in their religion about proper farming techniques like the Orlanthi (especially long term inprovements) and you have them just getting by, rather than taking over like Roman latifundi did.