Unglamourous Glamour

From: David Cake <dave_at_starfish.net.au>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 14:32:58 +0800

>These sound like some sort of broo elite, however I think there is also
>large *underclass* of chaotics living in (and in the sewers *under*) the
>streets of Glamour. Chaotics throughout the Empire gravitate there, because
>as David suggests, Glamour is probably the only place in the Empire where
>chaotics are not persecuted. Nevertheless, most chaotics can only survive
>in Glamour by begging, thieving and other criminal activities, because few
>people are willing to employ them.

        I thoroughly agree.

        I've been meaning to write this up for a while, thanks to MOB for reminding me.

        All over the Empire, the philosophies of the Lunar Empire tempt the unwary into experimentation with chaos, or otherwise encourage interaction with chaotic forces. But obvious chaotic features, or other evidence of chaotic taint, is still not socially acceptable to the majority of the Empire. A seven fingered hand or third eye might be something a high Lunar official can get away with, but for most it leads to ostracism and lynch mobs. Those afflicted gravitate to Glamour - it is well known in the Empire that chaotics can live unmolested in Glamour, as there are a few high profile chaotics who live there and are well known (at least one broo poet, for example).

        The Teelo Norri cult and other such do-gooders will assist chaotics in making their way to Glamour - the minor level of official assistance they can provide is often the only reason many chaotics survive the journey. At least they can sleep in Teelo Norri poorhouses along the way, rather than in ditches - chaotics are welcome in few inns.

        Once in Glamour, they discover the ugly truth - while the few succesful chaotics are feted for propagandistic purposes, those who have played with chaos and lost are still losers in Glamour. While the citizens of Glamour may accept the Emperors edicts about the official acceptability of chaos, they are still regarded as unwelcome by most.

        The only place where they are truly welcome is among their own kind. Glamour has a literal underworld, of sewers and strange excavations (even, it is rumoured Krarshtkid tunnels). There live the rejected experiments of the Empires grand chaotic project. Many where not born chaotic, but became chaotic through Chaos Gift and similar magics. Many turn to crime, including trading in exotic drugs and pleasures not socially acceptable even in the decadent heart of the Empire. The secret masters of the Krarsht cult cult grow fat.

        The crime, of course, as well as the use of broos as sewerage workers, means that the good Lunar citizens of Glamour can justify their discrimination, while at the same time mouth the platitudes of Lunar acceptance of chaos. 'Of course I do not discriminate against those who accept the gifts of chaos, but that does not mean I need to welcome criminals or dung-carriers into my neighbourhood or employment'.

        I imagine the Underside of Glamour to be the Gloranthan equivalent of William Burroughs Interzone - deranged half-humans turning to exotic vices to cope with their shattered lives. A little of Al Amarja, too. The scorpion man that continually threatens to commit suicide with his own sting, strange prostitutes that defy classification into the normal sexes, half man half insect beings that sell their own body parts as exotic drugs, and so on. And Spare Ass Annie, of course, straight from the title track of the William Burroughs/ Disposable Heroes CD.

        And if you want to make the whole area even more remarkable, there are many rumours about the Glamour underworld. Some say that something else existed on the site of Glamour, long ago, and the tunnels under Glamour have dug into strange ruins. Other rumours say that the tunnels actually contact the inside of the Crater in places, there to contact secret dark Lunar mysteries.

        Remember, the word Glamour can mean illusion, a good-seeming false image places over reality. Truly Glamour is a city well named.

	Cheers
		David