Re: Chaparral

From: Kmnellist_at_aol.com
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 15:26:26 EDT

Peter Metcalfe
<< I like to think the Prax and the Wastelands is uninhabitable to most  people because it has been damaged by Chaos and not because Eiritha  Beasts modify the ecosystem to keep out competitors.

I have to agree with Peter on this point , although I can see the merits of a more MGF "all animals are equal but some are more Eiritha than others" approach. As a kind of compromise how about this: Cattle and horses find it tough to survive on chaparral, but some manage to survive and could prosper. However, they degrade the chaparral into even worse terrain so that, eventually, they ruin Eiritha's bounty. Perhaps they did this in Vultures Country in the Second Age? Of course, no one in Glorantha may know this, they just have their ancient prejudices, but it gives the MGF option without changing the 'damaged by chaos' premise. Alternatively, it could be just cattle, not horses, that do this (or vice versa). Cattle riding nomads would be a bit slow.

Keith N