Argrath the Fazzurite?

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 23:17:46 +0000

Me:

Peter Metcalfe
>>> Which amounts to the same thing despite your attempts at >>> hairsplitting.

>>Not quite. If the Fazzurites would have been left in power, I'd cede >>your point, but after the conquest, they cease to appear in history.

> They "cease to appear" because after Mularik was appointed following
> a foolish oath by Argrath, they 'dissented and raised honest
> rebellion' whereupon 'Mularik crushes them with ruthless
> mercenaries' KoS p130.
> Given that this appears in the Composite History, which is largely
> pro-Argrath, I think the words 'honest rebellion' demonstrate that
> Argrath has a great deal of sympathy for them up to eight years after
> the event.

"Honest rebellion" may as well mean there was a field battle in which the Fazzurite elite cavalry was overcome by the Rokari elite chivalry. The Hendart clan saga fails to mention the Fazzurites but gives several names for opposition to Mularik.

Annotated Argrath Saga paints the conflict between the Fazzurites and the Phargantites as an anti-Lunar movement. Quite certainly the Lunar religion was neither a key factor nor a taboo to the Tarsh rebels in this civil war.

> Thus I think that Argrath did intervene on behalf of the
> Fazzurites.

He surely followed their invitation, but I really doubt that he ever intended to let them keep the spoils of that rebellion. After all, the Fazzurite dream of their Reich overlapped 100% with his own.