Re: Insecrs/Valinds Wastes/Trolls

From: Kmnellist_at_aol.com
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 11:04:39 EDT

I agree with Trotsky when he says:
 << that there isn't much for giant insects to eat up on  the glacier, so while the trolls there are still nominally associated with  them they may not often see any. In troll society, Gorakiki-worshippers  primarily function as herdsmen, a role lacking among the primitive Snow  Trolls because of the harsh conditions.

        The occaisional exception probably exists, especially if it makes the  game more fun, but on the whole I'd suggest its a minor aspect of their  society.

The original post was (I think) about a scenario at the edge of Valind's Waste so not actually on a glacier. I imagine Pent/Eol/ and other edge of glacier places have a highly seasonal insect population that swarm out for a couple of weeks, mate, lay eggs, then die. I find it hard to imagine Giant Insects doing this, but some fearsome (but tiny) bloodsucking gnats would be perfectly OK. Certainly shaman style worship of such a swarm could be possible, but not a 'regular' relgion; more like a seasonal event . I seem to remember seeing a wildlife documentary featuring reindeer that were all standing on a patch of snow to avoid pesky biting insects. A troll/pesky insect alliance would be mutually beneficial (except for the reindeer).

Keith N