Re: News about "King of Dragon Pass"

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 16:13:19 -0700

Nick Brooke noted news about King of Dragon Pass, the Glorantha computer game, on the web. Our press release, and links to other news stories, are on our web site.

For those of you who don't have web access, KoDP is set in the 1300s, when Orlanthi from Heortland resettled Dragon Pass. You play a small clan which attempts to first survive, then form a tribe, become tribal king, and finally unite all the tribes into a great kingdom.

Our current plans are to ship the game in the second half of October 1999. It will sell for $37.50.

Although we have gotten some interest from publishers, we haven't received any definite offers, and we have decided to self-publish. This was a painful decision, since a typical computer game has a marketing budget at least as large as its development budget. But there's no point in sitting on a completed game, even if we can't back it with the huge ad campaign a mainstream publisher would use.

So we'll be using a guerilla marketing strategy. We'll be selling directly from our web site, as well as through Wizard's Attic, and any hobby retail stores that wish to carry software. We will be running ads in a few magazines (Analog, Asimov's, Realms of Fantasy, and TopDeck), but we're going to rely on a lot of word of mouth.

Some of you have asked about pre-ordering. Our online store isn't set up yet, and we haven't signed a contract with Wizard's Attic yet, so I'd advise waiting a few weeks.

David Dunham     A Sharp     david_at_a-sharp.com
Voice/Fax: 206 783 7404     http://a-sharp.com
Efficiency is intelligent laziness.