wood in prax

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 12:17:46 +1200

Paul Anderson:

>>In the Oases, Palms are the major trees there.

>Yes, Palms are the most numerous single genus.

>[Glorantha, II, p.88:] "There are occasional trees and more succulent plants
>at the few scattered oases [in the Wastes]. Oases in Prax and near the
>seashore often boast date palms, but at most oases only skullbushes are
>found." Or, some oases have trees, some do not; some of the treed ones have
>palm-groves, some do not.

I get a completely different interpretation from your quote. Of the oases, some boast date palms while others have only skullbushes. A skullbush is not a tree, "being a low shrub with thick trunk and branches" RQC p32. One can make stakes from this but axles and planks are a bit much.

Now there are other trees in Prax as the Tales description of Moonbroth speaks of Apricot Trees. But I think these are introduced plants and namely delicacies for the palate of the inhabitants rather than sources of timber.

>This is what I would expect in Prax, which is a
>high plateau with frosts through Dark season and often in Storm season;
>and which brings forth temperate flora where the Zola Fel waters it.

In every desert, it gets bloody cold at night. Thus I don't see Prax as having a temperate climate and the cover pictures of Sun County, Borderlands and River of Cradles certainly doesn't look to me like places with a temperate climate.

Secondly Zola Fel is not typical of Prax. Prax is a waste because Oakfed burned it during the Great Darkness and its climate should reflect that mythical event more than anything else.

>and there are
>two other sources mentioned in Biturian Varosh's diary alone.

Namely "wooden stakes made in the paps" and the trolls at Adari? The stakes probably come from the Skullbushes while the Trolls can't be persuaded to harvest timber. The items the priestess handled are magical ones and ordinary wood would be eaten by the trollkin.

>Where could the Pol-Joni build carts? They live next to the Storm
>Mountains, which have deciduous forests.

They live close to the Divison Woods which is near Dagori Inkarth and full of werewolves. How many of them still live around Barbarian Town is unknown.