"Hero Wars" promotion

From: Michael Schwartz <mschwartz_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 99 18:50:31 -0400

Simon Bray wrote:

>Why were none of the 'elite cadre' of people who are
>playtesting the 'real' rules present at Euro Gencon
>promoting Hero Wars to a wider audience?

<RANT>

It probably has a lot to do with the fact that Issaries has not bothered to send up-to-date rules drafts to anyone. The summaries in question, rather than complete drafts of the rules, have been the only things I've seen from Issaries since March. That was when I saw the last modestly complete draft of the *theory* behind the Magic rules... I have seen no new Other Side/heroquest material since December of last year.

Based on one of the summaries (4.9, I believe) I sent in a scathing criticism and a few sets of rules suggestions to work around the huge flaws in their design philosophy. It is a pity that Robin left the process, because whoever is doing the lion's share of the mechanics-work at the moment needs to *think* a little before writing. What was a simple and fluid mechanic which *worked* has become more broken now than it was at this time last year.

Ah well... at least "King of Dragon Pass" kicks ass. Maybe "Hero Wars" will as well, if they just clue in to the most basic tenet of design: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

</RANT>

Michael Schwartz mschwartz_at_mindspring.com Ann Arbor, MI USA