Pavis Magics

From: Ian Thomson <ithomson_at_swin.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 15:19:21 +1000

I'm chatting with Keith about the possible nature of Old Pavis and its Magicians and stuff

It appeals to me that Potonis is a series of individuals, in that the name of each of the Seven Masks is the name of the first wearer and also became an honorific title.

I also am totally captivated with Keith's awesome idea that the Twin Hills were once a single long ridge called Magicians Hill.

Therefore it was smashed in half at some point. With the Inhuman King's uprising in 1042(?) being at a convenient time, I wonder if there was some artefact (Cradle, GodLearner, EWF, draconic, Pavic?) on the centre of the hill, which was smashed by the dragonewts (and/or a dragon).

Since this was the item which focussed the magic of the Pavis Magicians its destruction may have been the last straw that broke the Pavis defence capability utterly. It may have put Garngar Gateguard in a very bad position, trying to defend the gates now only with mounted troops and no sorcery back-up. Thus he was killed and Opili takes command saying "Now we have to adopt a new strategy because the <artefact> is gone. Let's build forts!"

I'm interested in the opinions of others and my home E-mail is: arkat_at_primus.com.au

I'm especially interested in any visions of what the artefact was, how it worked, and why the dragonewts destroyed it. (Was it forbidden dragon magic, or was it anti-dragon magic, or was there some other reason like the Pavisites used it to try and fight the dragon/ewts in 1042 when they started killing Magicians and stealing EWF items?)

Also, was there a dragon involved (literally smashing the hill in two) and if so, why didn't it eat everyone in Pavis as an after-task snack? Perhaps the EWF at that point merely wanted to destroy the leaders and some specific items, and were not interested in wholesale slaughter until the True Golden Horde got so uppitty?

cheers

Ian