Hero Wars playtest

From: Ian Thomson <arkat_at_primus.com.au>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 13:32:14 +1000

Disclaimer: these are all initial comments only, and I wish Hero Wars the very best of luck, reagrdless of whether I like the finished product or not:

Well, I can't comment too much anyway, it was just a run through we played, and my interpretations of the rules might be innacurrate, so what follows is based purely on what i perceived

The combat seemed to take for ever, but then I certainly didn't know what i was doing, so if we played another few games that might be a problem that went away V quickly

It also seemed really wrong that my character (skill of 22) goes up against a guy with skill of 9, and I sacrifice a bunch of fate points on the outcome - then I roll 7 out of 22 on a D20 and he rolls 6 out of 9, and he wins!!! I admit that this is my problem, but altho I'd love to be entirely unique and original I know I'm not - so this point might also be a thorny thing for a lot of others

I may be wrong about Fate Points (can't remember exactly what they were called) but the bidding system seemed a little bit munchkinish, and for me was no big shakes on replacing HP

Also there are no MP, so you can just cast spells forever, not a problem if you are a Carl, like I was, as few spells would be relevent to cast continually, but what about a sorcerer? I imagine the spells would also have to be linked to fate points in order to restrict them

BUT - in that case, having a rules-lite system surely would not be greatly inconvenienced by having MP, HP and character stats up at the top of the sheet??

I do recall on the Glorantha site that Greg said Hero Wars is compatible with any rule system (I think that's what he wrote), however does this mean I take my House Rules along combine the two, and only then can play? Perhaps I can use their rules as a V simple version of game play if I want, and then adapt easily with my own House Rules to fill in the gaps?

Such an idea appeals to me immensely, but then I have had tons of experience in creating a rules system, over the years, that flows quickly in game play, minimising disruptive dice rolls

What about the kids the game is supposed to be marketed to? I think they really need a little more of a framework and recommend bringing back in HP, MP and Stats

I can understand that for simplicity the stats would be left out, and I liked the description of the character at the top of the sheet, outlining strengths and experiences and loyalties. This was presumably the replacement for stats and was a nice touch

Also, there was no clear idea of when to apply the other special abilities we had, so various silly players - well one particularly :) (and not me) was applying his 'resist fear' to each and every situation and it all seemed to get out of hand (although was certainly funny at the time). But remembering our tendency as kids to take the piss ruthlessly out of rules that didn't seem to make sense (to the detriment of the game), I'm not sure if the phrase "up to the discretion of the GM" is enough.

It seems that the H Wars version I experienced was aimed at GMs/Storytellers and Players with experience and savvy in gaming, and especially requires a Storyteller who can quickly write a few extra rules for clarifying and explaining

But of course, if its aimed for kids, these extra rules should be clearly included in the finished product in my opinion

Finally, the characters were good. despite the lack of stats making us all wonder how smart, tall, good-looking we were.

I truly hope H Wars doesn't throw out the baby with the bathwater as regards the beautiful cults system already in place, and at least the essence of the Spirit and Rune magic systems. I was an Orlanthi worshipper of a Hero Cult, which seemed to make absolute sense instead of worshipping Orlanth specifically - I really liked that

There was also a mystic/pirate dude who was pretty cool except his powers dropped every time he failed (permanently I think!). And there was a healer from Pavis who had draconic abilities, which was really cool and has given me a radical rethink on something I'm writing at the moment

After all, who in Pavis still knows Draconic Lore to teach it????

Anyhow, all this is just first impressions, and I believe it to be a relvent topic, as the success of Hero Wars is crucial to a healthy future for Gloranthan gaming

cheers

Ian

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #99