Moonboat Manoeuvres

From: MOB <mrmob_at_ozemail.com.au>
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 1999 22:53:38 +1000

G'day all,

Moonboat Manoeuvres

Herve asks:

>Do clouds or anything masking the Red Moon have an effects on moonbeams ?
>Many clouds make a Storm after all.

Yes! Think of the skies like a roiling ocean: the Red Goddess and Orlanth are in conflict, both striving to dominate the middle air. Moonboats have to navigate their way through this, much like ships in the golden age of sail, tacking and weaving to make best use of the available moonshine. As I said in my last post, it gets progressively more difficult to control a moonboat as the moon goes through its phases until finally, on Dark Day, they can't fly at all.

>Would the Glowline change something ?

Yes again. Inside the glowline the goddess reigns supreme, so Moonboat travel there is like zipping about in a big, placid lake with a 200hp outboard. Arrolian moonboat captains rightly have contempt for their spoiled Imperial counterparts.

Draconic Lore

Ian Thomson:
>If some aspects of draconic lore still existed in Pavis, somehow
>preserved amongst the Pavic peoples that survived - would the dragonewts
>care enough to do anything about it?

Nearby Sun County was certainly a hive of Solar Draconism during the EWF period. They purged themselves of this, returning to the unsullied pure light of Yelmalio after the Dragonkill War. While pretty much forgotten these days - even the suppressed "true" story of why the Old Sun Dome was abandoned [SUN COUNTY, p.112] barely scratches at the truth - there is enough evidence lying around if one looks for it. And maybe someone has... just why does Lord Belvani [SC, p.14] have a pet dragonewt? And I've heard tell that the disgraced priest Daystar, rotting in the dark pits of Pent Ridge [see TENTACLES I], has somehow got a huge beaked dragonewt as his bodyguard...

>Final question - If the dragonewts in Pavis (and elsewhere) do tolerate
>draconic mysticism being used in Pavis (either cos its OK by them, or
>because they totally don't give a monkey's) would they have any
>interaction with these draconic mystics?...

While dragonewt motivations always remain utterly incomprehensible, those who recklessly choose to deal with them usually have pretty clear, albeit *sinister* (pun intended) aims.

>...But then if there was only
>one High Mystic of the discipline in Pavis, perhaps he alone would have the
>ability to interact with the newts at their level, and maybe even still
>study amongst them. Perhaps they would respect him/her as a genuinely
>honourable follower of draconic ways, even as an honorary dragonewt?

All I can say is, I think Ian will enjoy the forthcoming "Secret History of Sun County, Part Two"...

Cheers,

MOB