Blue Moon Stuff

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 02:54:00 +0100

Sorry about the posts repeated in #103 and #105 -- Eric Rowe told me to repost them, so blame him.

Steve asks:

> Can anybody throw any light on who are used as assassins in the Lunar
> Empire. Is it usually a specific cult, like the Blue Moon? Do houses
> train up their own assassins, black Ops teams? Do they worship any
> specific God?

The Blue Moon Cult are the generic state-sponsored assassins in the Empire. However, individual noble houses would use whatever kind of assassins they can train, the more originally-skilled and sorcerously-enhanced the better. The paranoia and tension (and constant war footing) of satraps' households when a Dart Competition looms is like something out of "Dune" -- and, like House Atreides, no Lunar noble household is complete without its Master of Assassins, Swordmaster, House Sorcerer, etc.

So: houses train up their own assassins; they could be worshippers of any god (or sorcerous school, or whacked-out philosophy, or nihilistic mystical tradition); they are meant to have zany and original powers (unique to each noble household), rather than conforming to a stock template. Each satrap's court will have different strengths.

The Blue Moon Assassins, on the other hand, should be dead scary. I wouldn't want to have one of them as a player character, because that would demystify them too much, IMO. Even House Assassins are scared of the Blue Moonies. (Though they pretend not to be).

(For some reason, the goddess Natha springs to mind as a good'un for assassins to worship. Although there are plenty of other demons and deities who'd do just as well. Natha, of course, is the proto-Lunar goddess of Murder and Blasphemy and Sacrilege).

Keith asks:

> Are there Blue Moon stealth bomber boats that no one can see and no one
> knows about?

Of course not. You'd know about them if they existed, wouldn't you? :-)

:::: Email: <mailto:Nick_Brooke_at_btinternet.com> Nick