Wyrms and other things.

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 1999 15:25:19 +1300

Keith Nellist:

>The way I understand it, Godlearners in Nochet nicked the secret of
>understanding Dragon Speech from the cult of Drolgard.

A couple of caveats.

  1. The date for their theft is well before the Jrusteli confederation got of the ground and so it is extremely unlikely that they are God Learners.
  2. Greg has said that the God Learners claimed that Vistikos learned the secrets of Draconic speech from their school.

>What I would like to
>know is the origin of Wyrms. Every reference that I can find is suspiciously
>vague about their origins (RQ2 rules say that they are the result of a
>misguided attempt by the Second Council to create new dragons after the
>ancestral dragons either went away or went to sleep). My own theory is that
>Wyrms were humans that have gone as draconic as they can, a Central
>Genertelan Path of Immanent Wyrmery.

The earliest reference to Wyrms that I know of is the discovery of Kartolin Pass in 149 ST by human scholars "mounted on wyrms and dragons", which is before the Second Council even.

>The most confusing reference is from the Dragon Pass rules where someone
>called Eriayalaia, the Veil of the Moon, met with the Inhuman King to
>discuss philosophy, and ended up discussing treason, inhuman things,
>death and genocide, euthanasia and god's wills. 666 years (376, ie the
>year after sunstop))after this conversation the Dragonewts rose up to
>destroy the heart of the Empire (1042?). This makes me think the whole
>thing was planned by the Blue Moon for an even more sinster purpose than
>any Dragonewt plot.

I doubt that the Blue Moon and the Dragonewts planned so far ahead. Bear in mind that the text was written a long time ago, when even the maps of Genertela look very strange. Note for example, that the same text also states that the Pharoah ruled the Holy Country in the days of the EWF. Hence I would amend "years" to "days".