Re: HeroQuesting and Time Travelling

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 19:56:13 +0100 (BST)

Nikk Effingham:
> I never used to think HeroQuesting was time travel, when a Storm
> Bull worshipper re-enact the defeat of Ragnaglar and his horde of
> broo, you did not time travel back, you did not actually exist
> numerous eons ago in the Great Darkness in the fight, not in the
> sense that if you somehow, one day, lost and the broo won that
> the future would be changed. I did believe that you entered into the
> mythical representation of this victory of Storm Bull, that "exists"
> on the HeroPlane, and that should the myth be altered somehow
> then things change, but not time.

As Nick so wisely sez, Greg does bang on about this in a number of different directions, none of which necessarily correspond to anything he's thought out every possible consequence of, so take with a pinch of salt (or other amount, to taste).

For my money, the Orlanthi think of HeroQuesting in _exactly_ the manner you describe. After all Time started in 1ST, so going back 'before' then is hardly 'time'-travel, is it now? As part of KoDP says (I'm guessing a Greg-written portion), the Storm Age is, was, and always will be (pardon my paraphrase).

OTOH, the Lunars, esp. the 'Dara Happan Lunars' think of 'Travelling and Journeying' rather differently. After all, the past is 'history' to them, not myth that's a-historic in the sense it is to the Orlanthi. Thus in a sense they think of it as a sort of time travel, and to some extent it _does_ work that way for them.

Details best to be had from a squiffy Greg in a bar, or better yet, from how it pans out best in your games.

Cheers,
Alex.