The Mask of Jhorro

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 13:13:09 +0100

You've all read up on Artaphaestos by now, I'm sure. (If you haven't, go to http://www.btinternet.com/~Nick_Brooke/Moonie/Moonson/artaphaestos.htm and find out what this is all about).

Something you don't yet know, because *he* doesn't know it at the start of the game, is that if he finds out who killed his father, or robbed him of his inheritance (the county of Jhor), he can become... JHORRO, the Masked Avenger!

Part of Artaphaestos' game components was a sealed envelope marked: "Open this if you find out who killed your father or are denied the County of Jhor"

Inside was a brief message and three new cards:

	You must take on the black mask of Jhorro and avenge yourself
	upon those you hold responsible for the death of your father/
	your disinheritance.

	You should find enclosed three special cards. One of these
	allows you to wear a special disguise badge when you are out
	and about as Jhorro. We recommend that you use the Mark of
	Jhorro card on those implicated in, or accessories to, your
	father's death/your disinheritance, and the vengeance card
	only on the killer of your father!

	New Objectives (where relevant):

- Avenge your father's death
- Punish those who have disinherited you
The Mask of Jhorro Present this to the CPS Director when you wish to change badges. The Mark of Jhorro This is a devastating sword attack, which carves the letter 'J' into the victim! Vengeance is Mine! To the killer of your father you must declare: "My name is Artaphaestos, son of Haraxalur of Jhor. You killed my father. Prepare to die!" You can attack once and kill them if you are successful on a win or draw of a scissor-paper-stone contest.

This generally worked a treat, with exciting pursuits and getaways, leaps and bounds, swashbuckling and scarifying swordplay, and yet more mysterious masked avengers to add to the mix of characters. In particular, the slapstick pursuits late in the "Convulsion Goes Fourth" run cracked me up. I would swear the player swung on an imaginary chandelier at one point... luckily, Moonson's Palace is designed for such escapades.

I should confess that two of the Life of Moonson authors, Chris Gidlow and myself, are inveterate fans of comics, and we seeded the freeform with enough heroic characters with strange costumes, secret identities, superhuman powers, dastardly arch-enemies and burning passions for justice to populate "Justice League Peloria". You've had Batman and Zorro already, and you'll see more on my website over the coming months...

:::: Email: <mailto:Nick_Brooke_at_btinternet.com> Nick

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #103