Re: dino-newts; Emperor of the WF

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 12:29:59 -0700

Andre Jarosch asked

> Dinosaurs are Dragonewts that failed on their way to become a real dragon.
>
> So my question is:
>
> If it is so, why arenĄt there any Dinosaurs in Kralorela?

They're better at it?

> Why are there Dinosaurs in Slontos without being Dragonewts there?

Well, not all dinosaurs are failed dragonewts. I don't think the gazzam of Peloria are, and Maran Gor's earthshakers surely have a different origin as well.

The Bestiary says that magisaurs are failed crested dragonewts, and are often "confused with such dinosaurs as trachodons and hadrosaurs."

Elder Secrets says the God Learners thought that dragonewts interbred with pre-existent dinosaurs, and has their theory that there are no dragonewts in Pamaltela due to the Gods War, which left only their distant kin (dinosaurs) as survivors.

So I think your premise is wrong. Instead, some dragonewts devolve into creatures resembling dinosaurs.

As for the Emperor of the EWF: didn't it devolve into a pyramid scheme? That too implies someone at the top...

Note that just because there's an emperor doesn't mean he's necessarily the most powerful or important person in the empire.

Nor would he be dumb enough to use the same term as applied to the Evil Emperor: he could be the Caesar/Kaiser/Tsar rather than Emperor/Imperator.

The EWF as "empire" did last for nearly 500 years. It's doubtful that it remained in exactly the same form for the entire period. (I'd be a lot more inclined to believe this of a place like the Shadowlands, ruled by the same person.) So this is one of those great arguments were anyone can be right, without making anyone else wrong.