Dwarvern Alchemy

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 11:24:23 +1300

Erik Sieurin:

>[...] it is quite possible
>that the (al)chemical processes which for instance produces Mostali
>gunpowder are quite similar to RW processes - they might utilize the
>same basic ingredients for instance - but the reasons WHY they work
>and the exact know-how may be very different indeed.

I'm not certain that the vast majority of dwarves actually know why their processes work either.

>It might for instance be impossible
>for non-Mostali to reproduce them just by following a recipe or somesuch.

There's a simple way in which this could be done. Dwarvern recipies would take an inordinately long time to complete and require constant supervision. Humans do not have their patience and constantly try to speed up the process or don't constantly supervize it and end up with inferior products of varying potencies and effects.