Dwarven Tecnology

From: Erik Sieurin <erik.sieurin_at_swipnet.se>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 07:26:56 +0200

>From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>

>Erik Sieurin on making gunpowder, and the like:
>> It might for instance be impossible for non-Mostali to reproduce them
>> just by following a recipe or somesuch.
>
>Hrm, as in impossible for reasons _other_ than the possessors of such
>recipes mysteriously blow up, or are approached by short individuals
>with large false moustaches saying "Excuse me, meester", before applying
>a pipe wrench to the back of their heads, and such like?
Yes. Though the two situations mentioned are quite frequent ;-). It would not be fun if human could not steal dwarven technology, but its "magical" nature makes it harder than it looks in many cases. Note, though, that IMG the "supernatural paradigm" for Mostali are not that different from what we would class as "science"; all approach the Otherworld through metaphor and symbolism; for the dwarves that does not mean myth but math. And graphs. And take-apart-bakelite models. And numbers and cogwheels and manuals oh my.

As already mentioned, all IMG.

Erik, early here in Sweden. Early for him, that is.