Auld Wyrmish

From: Kmnellist_at_aol.com
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 1999 15:59:47 EST

ME:. Auld Wyrmish could almost
>have been the EWF equivalent of the Godlearner Tradetalk

Peter:
 <<I assume you mean 'equivalent' to mean something other than duplicating  the ease in which one can speak in Tradetalk. If you merely mean that  it is a magical language, then yes, so is New Pelorian, Old Malkioni  and Stormspeech.>>

ME
Not really. I meant that it facillitated communication between fellow Wyrms Minders to a great extent. But it was more than a language; with it everyone thinks the same, or along the same lines. They are on each others wavelength in a spooky pseudo telepathic way. Less words need to be used, less explaining, everyone knows what you ae on about. Tradetalk on the other hand just makes it easier to conduct business and make deals.

ME:
>(BTW I think the
>Godlearners created Tradetalk, using the Communication 'Issaries' Rune).
PETER:
<< And according to Greg, this is wrong. The Orlanthi knew Tradetalk  at the Dawn.>>

OK, so I'm wrong on this. But the Godlearners did spread the language outside of the Orlanthi sphere of influence.

ME
>The
>human language of the Orlanthi EWF would have been some ancient
>Theyalan tongue, but no more similar to modern Sartarite as it is
>to modern Tusk Rider (to choose a definite EWF descendant).

PETER
 The Tusk Riders were a distinct Orlanthi people long before the EWF,  having existed at the Dawn. The human language of the EWF is stated  in RQ2 to be Old Pavic and still spoken today by the Pavic natives.

ME:
I thought that tusk riders were created during the EWF, or at least at the end of it. Every single reference that I have seen states that they were created at the end of the second age. If you mean the ancestors of Tusk Riders then I can understand them being a distinct Orlanthi people. However, they were a remnant of the EWf so presumably spoke some sort of EWF language, which you say is Old Pavic, and which I think is Auld Wyrmish. The fact that you need special Dragon brain/tongue to attain more than 25% in Speak Auld Wyrmish, and that normal Old Pavic speakers get 25% in Auld Wyrmish is, I think, more than a coincidence. The scrolls written in Auld Wyrmish also hint that it, rather than Old Pavic, were used in the EWF. Another clue is the name Auld Wyrmish, as opposed to just Wyrmish, which implies that it was used a long time ago, during the EWF for example. Incidentally I think it is a bit of a passing reference in RQ2 to the origins of Old Pavic and in the space allocated one wouldn't expect a full analysis of it's history.

I still stick to my point that Tusk Riders were part of the EWF, Pavis was part of the EWF (in terms of language), and that they communicated in Auld Wyrmish, but spoke their own, different, human lanuguages.

Keith N