GAZZA's Newbie questions...

From: MOB <mrmob_at_ozemail.com.au>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 1999 18:40:38 +1100

G'day all,

Before anyone asks, I didn't vote to retain Australia's absentee monarch on Saturday. Our newly-independent East Timorese neighbours must be scratching their heads in amazed bewilderment...

GAZZA's Newbie questions...

Gazza asked:

>Secondly, I note that Big Rubble is available from Wizard's Attic.
>Is this worth getting?

Absolutely! If you missed my recent review of this product here on the Digest, check out what I've got to say about in the "News and Reviews" section of my Glorantha Page (url - my sig.)

>Thirdly, when are most Gloranthan games set? I've got King of
>Sartar, as I mentioned; is the game supposed to be set during
>Fazzur's overlordship, or actually after Argrath becomes King?
>(Surely not; the supplements I have show the Lunar Empire as
>much more powerful than that would suggest).

In my experience, most games are set where there's published material about the people and the area. Ergo, most campaigns started in Pavis and Prax - because Chaosium brought out CULTS OF PRAX, PAVIS, BIG RUBBLE & BORDERLANDS. Many campaigns ended up coming back there, because Avalon Hill brought out SUN COUNTY, SHADOWS ON THE BORDERLANDS & RIVER OF CRADLES.  Publications such as "Tales of the Reaching Moon", "Enclosure" etc. will give you additional information and gaming material about these places, and other spots on the lozenge besides.

Start your game before 1621, and (if you get a hold of "Pavis & Big Rubble") you can send 'em on 'The Cradle'!

>>Fourthly, what rules are recommended? Normal RQIII, RQII,
>PenDragon Pass, or some other variant?

PenDragon is the best game system I've ever played. PD Pass is great, but if you're keen on RQ, at least give the PD Pass personality traits system a try!

Cheers,

MOB PS. Robin Mitra asked:

>I am looking for an Issaries HeroQuest (not the LBQ). Has anybody some
>material or ideas?

However it's done, successfully completing an Issaries HQ should be the equivalent of actually getting the $37 million out of those Nigerian scam artists in that well-known con.

MICHAEL O'BRIEN
Department of Science and Mathematics Education The University of Melbourne, Parkville, Victoria 3052 Australia
           Email me : mrmob_at_ozemail.com.au
     MOB's Home Page: http://www.ozemail.com.au/~mrmob/index.html
MOB's Glorantha Page: http://www.ozemail.com.au/~mrmob/glorindex.html
 DOB Footy Scrapbook: http://www.ozemail.com.au/~mrmob/dobfootycard.html