Vampires

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 1999 21:39:17 +1300

Petsku koo:

>what kind of creatures are vampires in glorantha. In cults of terrer
>there is some rules and the write up of Vivamort and it says that they
>use runemagic but Lords of terror says that they are sorcerers

Cults of Terror was written when no sorcery rules were available whereas Lords of Terror was written when the RQIII rules were available.

Personally I think vampires steal the victim's higher being and used it to fuel their corpses. They can choose not to digest some of their victim's soul and use it for magic but their precise powers depends largely upon who they feed upon. Vampires in western lands use sorcerous powers swiped from wizards while those in central genertela use rune magics.

One could also explain this as different traditions of vampires and state that a vampire from Delecti's Marsh must learn new ways of feeding before he can drain magics and soul from an sorcerer. I think Vivamort was only the founder of a particular type of tradition and Vampires from Pamaltela or the East Isles have their own myths.

>what about making them (meening the sorcery
>spell create vampire).

I think Vampires make themselves. Certain ways of becoming a vampire are known everywhere being largely heroquests of the first vampire there (Vivamort etc).