Argot Trolls

From: Frusetta James <JNF990_at_st.aubg.bg>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 10:25:59 +200

Bob Stancliff revealed:
> This would be a particularly disappointing process since
> notable parts of troll language are gangster slang from old
> movies... basically Chicago slum argot circa 1930. The prime
> example is 'Dagori Inkarth', which is 'Da (the) gory ink earth' and
> is actually translated in the books as 'the bloody, black ground'.
> 'Uz' is 'us', and 'you' is probably 'yuz' or 'yuz gyz'.
Now this is interesting. Uz is easy to figure, but I hadn't caught the Chicago reference. Another classic Greg Gem is "Laca," from "Los Angeles, California." (LA, CA). I'll have to rent some ganster movies and see if I can catch some references.

Any thoughts on "Kyger Litor" or "Zorak Zoran"?

> When Glorantha was created, far more of it seems to have been comedic,
> such as Hungry Jacks and ducks, than is true now. Scholarship is
> fine to a point, and I do try to look up questions when we play, but
> when it interferes with the game, I tend to run from my feelings,
> and 'who cares about the details'.

True, though spurious scholarship has its own form of enjoyment, which was the rational here. I get enough of the serious scholarship crap at work -- the stuff for Glorantha is mindcandy. :)

Trotsky revealed plans for Elfpak:
Three books? Which one has the recipes? Release that one first.

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #144