Re: Yet another irritating newbie question...

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 00:35:12 GMT

GAZZA (I can only hope, not the lachrymose, tubby association footballer):
> How common (in Orlanthi society) is membership in multiple cults?
> And specifically how common is membership in the Orlanth religion?

To cut a long answer short: universal. Note, the Orlanth _religion_, not what corresponds to what's the 'Orlanth cult' in RQ2/3 descriptions, which as I understand current thinking, which may be scarecely at all, or something more akin in Orlanthi society initiation into an _aspect_ of Orlanth, which is an additional, separable step, on a footing with initiation into a different god. (Though perhaps not always so formalised.)

> RQIII changed this; we find out that people join a cult as an
> initiate, apparently as part of their adulthood ceremony. So lay
> members are now so ineffectual that they aren't really covered to
> any great degree in RQIII.

"Different type of initiation", they said, and laughed as if at some huge joke...