Old Pavic

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 1999 12:08:27 +1300

Keith Nellist:

>Just reading the stuff on Pelorian languages in Glorantha book I note
>that it states that 600 years ago the rulers of Peloria (this would
>have been the EWF) spoke a "now extinct Theyalan dialect".

Which accords well with the RQ2 description of Old Pavic being a "now nearly-dead language". If Old Pavic were confined to the same people who speak it now, this description would seem odd.

>>> The city is pretty remote from the main Empire

>> No, it wasn't. Prax is controlled by friendly horsemen and there was
>> the skill of Draconic Flying.

>So it *was* remote apart from Auld Wyrmish speaking Dragonfriends and Pure
>Horse speaking nomads.

I am commenting on your usage of pretty remote. It is roughly 170 km from Torkan's Last Fort, a distance smaller than the length of Sartar itself. At the height of its powers, the EWF controlled distant Yuthuppa, Talastar and even Ormsland in Ralios which are far more remote places than Pavis ever was.

It is roughly 170 km from Torkan's Lats Fort to

>> That doesn't explain why Old Pavic was spoken _within_ the Empire,
>> which strongly implies that it was once spoken throughout a
>> larger region than Pavis.

>I am suggesting that the single word "in" in the RQ2 reference should be
>replaced with "in the time of".

I see no reason to change this.

>Besides this I am also suggesting that Old Pavic was the urban/draconic
>version of the language of the Pure Horse/Zebra nomads who occupied Prax
>during the Pavic Golden Age.

So in your opinion, Old Pavic is a Pentan tongue rather than the Theyalan tongue mentioned in the example on p33 of the Glorantha Book?

>Again I disagree with your assumption that the majority of original
>settlers were Theyalan, and that Pavis had more than just a band of
>Pure Horse followers.

	When Pavis came to Prax with his great statute, he
	was accompanied by many lesser allies often only
	hinted at in the histories and legends.  One ally
	was the army of land-hungry horse riders, the
	followers of Joraz Kyrem.
				P&BR p61

The description of Joraz as a "lesser" ally strongly implies that the original character of Pavis was not dominantly Pure Horse as you suggest.

>The Pure Horse had been pretty much forced out of Prax by Waha and
>Paragua and therefore there was a whole tribe of horsey folk looking
>to reestablish themselves, with Pavis and the Faceless statues help,
>in Prax.

I believe the last time there was a debate over the origins of the Zebra tribe, it was agreed that Joraz's tribe was really only one tribe of the Pure Horse People that had originally dwelt in and around Robcradle.

Other tribes remained in central prax, did not join the Zebra project and were not expelled until the battle of Alvaran Algay in 1250 ST.

>The next major influx of people was in 877, with the Theyalan Sun
>Domers who introduced farming into the valley.

That doesn't prevent the grazelands inside the walls being used to herd cattle before this time as most of the original Pavisites would have done.

>Please advise me what language you think Joraz Kyrem
>spoke? or the rest of the Arrowsmith Dynasty until 940?

Old Pavic. He may know Pure Horse but it has become a redundant language shortly after the Zebras were made.

>The evidence that Pure Horse was still spoken by people is that the
>Pure Horse still spoke it, and their descendants (the Grazelanders)
>still speak it.

But Joraz Kyrem is hardly a Pure Horse man when he has his horses acquire stripes! After this, there's nothing to prevent his people from miscenegating themselves with other people of Pavis. He may still call himself Pure Horse after the event, but he's compromised the ancient purity.