Old Pavic

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 20:32:49 +1300

Keith Nellist:

>> I am commenting on your usage of pretty remote. It is roughly 170 km
>> from Torkan's Last Fort,

>I still think that 170km of Praxian chaparral makes it pretty remote from
>the rest of the EWF.

And the Rockwood Mountains which the Ormsland lay beyond aren't? There is a major road from Sartar to Pavis listed in the Trollpak Map showing that in the old days, communication was quite common.

Me>> So in your opinion, Old Pavic is a Pentan tongue rather than
>> the Theyalan tongue mentioned in the example on p33 of the
>> Glorantha Book?

>I do not think that the example (in hte Glorantha book) can be taken
>as proof that Old Pavic is a Theyalan tongue.

I wish you had said this earlier so that I wouldn't have invested so much time in this debate. But we also know from this example that Tarshite is a Pelorian Theyalan Tongue which you are quite happy with so why is one factoid in the example good and the other bad?

>Old Pavic speakers in RQ2 did not gain any Sartarite ability.

Neither did any Sartarites gain any ability in Esrolian or Tarshite, which they do in the Languages in Glorantha article.

>Biturian Varosh certainly had trouble speaking Old
>Pavic to the Troll Priestess.

He had trouble understanding it, which is as it should be. Many English speakers understand French better than English spoken in a thick Irish Brogue (although I suppose an argument could be made for Friscian).

>> >Please advise me what language you think Joraz Kyrem
>> >spoke? or the rest of the Arrowsmith Dynasty until 940?

>> Old Pavic. He may know Pure Horse but it has become a
>> redundant language shortly after the Zebras were made.

>Are you suggesting that the Khan of the Pure Horse People didn't
>speak Pure Horse as his native tongue?

No. I said nothing about the native tongue of Joraz Kyrem but what language the Arrowsmith dynasty spoke. I then added that Joraz might know Old Pavic but blah blah blah.

>That Old Pavic existed as a language before the
>foundation of Pavis?

Since I believe that Old Pavic was the language of the first settlers and the EWF rulers at large, then it pretty much follows that it existed before Pavis was founded. A related example: Sartarite was spoken long before Sartar made his kingdom from Heortland to the Creekstream River - it did not spring from the soil once Sartar made the walls of Boldhome.

>That the Horse People who changed to Zebra Riders
>suddenly started speaking a new Stripy Language (Old Barcode?)

Did I say "suddenly"? I said they mixed in with the rest of the Pavisites and they would have picked up Old Pavic from this.

Ian Thomson:

>We've pretty much established that the rulers of the EWF spoke Auld
>Wyrmish, and I hypothesise that the Empire had a common tongue of the local
>Theyalan base language -heavily- influenced by Auld Wyrmish (which I've
>called 'New Wyrmish')

Yes, but the article which you were referring to talk about the rulers of _Peloria_, rather than the rulers of the EWF. Hence the EWF required a large number of adminstrators/overseers/garrison and would have had have to lower the Auld Wyrmish Fluency requirements quite a bit.

Pretty much like how the British Empire was forced to rely Irishmen and H-droppers to help run its empire.