Female warriors in Orlanthi society

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 11:27:20 +1300

James Turner:

Me>>What does a sex of the player have to do with the characters
>>do? The aim of these campaigns is to have fun not to somberly
>>attain some sexual issues awareness. Given the tribe was
>>founded by a Queen, I don't think anybody will object at a
>>female PC swinging swords.

>Fun is the most important thing yes.
>People get fun out of roleplaying in many ways but here I'm thinking about
>the usual RPG fun of being heroes, killing things, going on adventures,
>amassing status and loot.

Yees, but what does that have to do with your discontent that the greydog campaign is not somehow satisfactory because it did not have a female player or character? Female Orlanthi can be heroes, kill things, go on adventures and amass status and loot. How do you think Lismelder, Kallyr or Leika Ballista got to be queen or Londra to be a sword of Humakt?

>As a male character you get to do all the fun things and be a good Orlanthi
>at the same time. As a female character you have to be a social misfit.

Do you? I'm not aware of anything that says that female warriors are regarded as social misfits among the Orlanthi. KoS explicitly says at one point that among the Orlanthi "Warrior women and cloth - -weaving men are both found and accepted" (KoS p242) which seems perfectly reasonable to me.