Orlanthi sexism

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 16:18:24 +1300

David Blizzard:

Me>> The current ruckus stems
>> from a draft that suggested that females couldn't join
>> Orlanth Thunderous, yet people are quite happy with the
>> thought of males prevented from becoming a Babeester Gor
>> Axe Murderer.

>I don't know about your Glorantha campaign. However, in most of the
>Runequest campaigns I have heard about, ran or played in Orlanth was
>easily the most popular cult. I have never seen a single Babeester
>Gor PC (although I'm sure they exist). The difference in excluding
>males from a minor cult (from a PC desirabilty standpoint) and females
>from the most popular adventuring cult for players is extremely
>significant.

Orlanth _Thunderous_ is not "the most popular adventuring cult for players". Orlanth _Adventurous_ is and it has not been stated that women are excluded from that, but rather that women know her as Vinga.

>The fact that you would want to add sexism to a culture
>(that from previous notes seemed to be comparatively limited in this
>regard) certainly wouldn't be a problem.

Given that the sexism was already there (as can be seen in many of the early RQ3 earth cult writeups - such as Babs, Ernalda, Maran Gor), I don't see why a major fuss should ensure when a minor cult of Orlanth is suggested as being men-only.