Useful RQ for HW

From: Michael Cule <mikec_at_room3b.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 16:02:26 +0000

>I have been running demos of Hero Wars at cons and local shops for the
>last 9 months and have never played RQ. (I started out testing it to
>check for flaws that a new player would be more likely to spot) Can
>anyone recommend a FEW RQ books to give me a quick handle on the old game
>that would still be useful in the new?
>I love the rich detail of the world but am somewhat daunted by the
>prospect of catching up on 25 years of canon.

If you want to look at RQ the system then all you need is the basic RQ rulebook. Try for the Avalon Hill softback rather than the boxed set(s).

If you want RQ3 stuff useful for background then in order of usefulness I'd say

Glorantha: Gernetela (Absolutely essential) Gods of Glorantha
River of Cradles
Trollpak
Elder Secrets
Sun County
Shadows on the Borderlands.

RQ2 stuff is very hard to come by except for the current excellent reprint of PAVIS/BIG RUBBLE which you should snatch up if you see a copy.